Tuesday 8 August 2017

Absence makes the heart grow fonder.

I have been away a couple of times helping my mother. I came across a few things while there. The town I live in had a charity shop for Tenovus but I had never heard of it before then. I didn't realise that it was a well established charity, even featuring as a slogan postmark in 1968. 


My mother was a letter writer to friends and family, in the UK as well as overseas (mainly Australia). The letters have been mostly shredded but she kept the stamps on paper. I brought back this many with me. 
My dad liked covers, including first day covers. This is one I have of his - the inauguration of the car ferry between Southampton and Le Havre - 19th July 1964. I don't think I have taken this particular crossing across the Channel, but haven been sailings from Folkestone, Dover and Ramsgate, arriving at Oostende, Zeebrugge, Calais and Boulogne (not respectively). 
He also had penpals (like father like daughter, eh!). I don't know what happened to the letter inside (shredded, perhaps). I looked up the sender's name and discovered an online obituary. This person's special interests had included corresponding with pen pals all over the world!! That sounds like me! I think I would like that in my obituary! 







 So, what have I been doing recently? I have been buying even more stationery. I bought quite a few earlier this year from Paperchase in the sale. I like the jolly and cheerful designs. The main complaint though is that the paper allows you to only write on one side of the sheet, but sometimes that is a good thing as the designs will hide your writing and it won't show through cheap white envelopes. 


This was bought at Birmingham New Street station's Paperchase last month (I was travelling by train - and yes, I did take the opportunity to get some letters written on the train). However, I wouldn't be able to use scented stickers on letters to every penpal (some have allergies & intolerances I wouldn't want to exacerbate).



I had made some envelopes and needed some labels. I came across the Art Nouveau label book on sale in TK Maxx, so looked up on Amazon for other suggestions. I bought the Japanese labels and ones from Dutch Door Press & Rifle Paper Co. While I was enthralled by the Art Nouveau labels and stickers, the others slightly disappointed me - I will be able to use them but not as many for writing addresses on to be affixed to envelopes.


So, while I was away last month, this was just some of the post that came.  Notice the solar eclipse stamps! I had fun playing with them. Also, the ball stamps are textured. That's a lot of letters, and even more came yesterday. So, I shall put the kettle on to brew a cup of Bushells Blue Brand (sent to me with a letter from a penpal) and get back to writing letters. 

No comments:

Post a Comment