Monday 10 October 2016

Attracting people to the world of snail mail

I expect that many who read my blog have an interest in snailmail, letters, or even stamps, so I may be preaching to the converted about the joys of letterwriting and snailmail. But if you are not amongst the converted, did you experience the joys of snailmail as a child, with penpals? I was talking a while back with someone about letters and was told it was a childish hobby - you probably wouldn't call Prince Charles childish for all those letters he wrote, the black spider memos. What can we do to persuade people to come (back) and experience the pleasure of letters? Do projects such as InCoWriMo and LetterMo help (although these both take place in February)? Does anyone have an ideas? Do you see other people writing letters?

2 comments:

  1. I participated in mail art about 14 years ago, but when I went back to work, I had no time or energy for it. About a year ago, I began again, mostly with letters and postcards to my grandchildren. I did participate in the Write On campaign this year, and although a lesser challenge might be better for most people (say a letter a week), it was fun, and I reconnected with an old friend.

    I do think that writing to children (nieces, nephews, grands) might encourage letter writing, but for all the letters I've written my 3 grands, I've only gotten 2 in return. They love receiving, but writing? Not so much. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My son liked to see the postcards I received through Postcrossing. He even sent a few himself. The writing though may feel like a chore? Do your grandchildren write in cursive / joined-up?

      There is a smaller challenge on the A World of SnailMail forum - Five Questions - I wondered if some people do not know what to write in letters, so having something for them to respond to could help.

      There are plans afoot.

      Delete