Sunday 11 January 2015

Happy New Year

Last year, I wrote to about 150 letters to 40 different people around the world. I made some new penfriends across a broad spectrum of types. I correspond with gentlemen as well as gentlewomen. I enjoy writing to people, whether sat here at my writing desk or in a cafe with a cup of tea. I feel amongst friends when I write letters while sat alone in a cafe. I have tried to draft letters while travelling on the bus but then they need writing out again.

I write mainly with fountain pens, and have even acquired a glass dip pen, although envelopes are mostly written with a ballpoint. I have a variety of paper to write on, some very cute, some subtle and some plain. I sometimes decorate letters with stickers (but occasionally, there will be an attempt at drawing and if it looks like what I meant it to be, then it is a success). Some of the envelopes I have do not have good quality sticky stuff so I  resort to tapes, plain or decorative.

I use commemorative stamps, sometimes with additional definitive stamps to make up the postage.

I keep a diary to record incoming and outgoing post (except for junk mail, bank statements and bills), although I occasionally forget to log the post in it. I have letters to post tomorrow so will need to write in the diary tomorrow. I do hope I receive some post soon: my last lot of received post is from the 2nd of January!

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree that it feels like you are with a friend when writing a letter. Each of my many penpals is important to me and I have a different relationship with each of them. I wouldn't be without them.

    ReplyDelete